Tuesday, February 16, 2010

CABARET NIGHT 2010

This is the 10th year Jim and I have hosted "Cabaret Night," turning our studio into "Cafe Stephens" for a french bistro meal. This year Jim made Boeuf Bourguignon


and topped it with these garlic and basil crostini:


Our friend and neighbor Mark once again made outstanding tarts - this is a flamiche, or leek quiche

and an anchovy and spinach tart (yum!)


I made a goat cheese, blueberry and almond salad

and dessert - for the first time I made petit fours. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE: a) gone to pastry school and/or b) have LOTS of patience and time. Eventhough they didn't look how I wanted them to, they tasted yummy.

(yes, the green is marzipan).

With dessert we always serve espresso. It's my big chance to use my cute espresso cups. (I have enough now to serve 25).

Here's the cafe

We had a smaller than normal turn out this year (only 15) but everyone did their part to entertain us.

The Squires (table of 4) put on an original skit (written by Linda with an i) with real New York accents. Here they are taking their bows.


Jim had some terrific jokes to tell between acts and he also announced each act, in cape and mask.

Kurt did an amusing risque version of "The Night Before Christmas."

Wayne has a lovely voice and sang us a song - David is helping him with the words by looking them up on his i Pod


Michael also has a lovely voice and sang a really funny song this year.



We gave Matthew a hard time because he has real talent and dared to play professional quality guitar, which we enjoyed very much.

My act was a reading of Bertolt Brecht's Pirate Jenny, but alas, no one took a picture of me in my blonde wig and pirate hat.

Lynda (with a y) and Jeff were in the spirit of the weekend with a Valentine's Day tribute hillbilly style.

The amazing flip wig got passed around to everyone.

Lynda (with a y) and Barney

Linda (with an i)

me

Mark

Michael

A fine time was had by all.

Audrey

3 comments:

  1. We moved to Cuenca permanently 6 weeks ago. How do we get to know people like you? And also, where in the world did you find goat cheese? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks, Valerie Lacy rubyriv@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post Audrey. Sure wish we could have been there for all the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Valerie, we are back home in Santa Rosa, California. We did meet plenty of fun people in Cuenca, but no goat cheese.

    ReplyDelete