Saturday, July 17, 2010

MY VISIT TO OUR CAPITOL

This week I was in Washington, D.C. on a business trip. I was very excited to go because I have only been there a few times and haven't even scratched the surface of the Smithsonian. I had a tight schedule - I arrived at 9:30 pm on Monday - and then waited 1 1/2 hours for my bag to arrive on a subsequent flight. My conference sessions didn't let out until after 5 pm everyday so I had a limited window of time - early evening - to see sights. I had done my research and found that two of the many Smithsonian museums stay open later in the summer. I was all set to see the Hope Diamond and to go to the American Art Museum. So, on Tuesday evening I got into my tennis shoes and took the free hotel shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro stop (I was staying in Arlington Virginia). I hopped onto the Metro and rode through some historic stops, such as Foggy Bottom and Arlington Cemetery. When I got off at the Smithsonian stop some 25 minutes later, I emerged onto the Mall and saw this.

Now, I had seen the Jefferson Monument from this vantage point on my last trip to DC, but I can tell you it was still as impressive as ever. Also, I love that you can then turn around and see the White House at the opposite end.


I got my bearings (here's the Smithsonian "Castle")


and was chagrined to see that I was on the opposite side of the Mall from the Natural History and Art Museums. Why was this a problem? Did I mention that it was like walking through a wet blanket and the temperature was in the 90s? Yuck. Also, the Mall is REALLY BIG. I started hoofing at a fast pace, as the museums were only open until 7 PM and 7:30 PM.

After some minutes (who were all those fools jogging?) I reached the Natural History Museum which had a sign that said, "Closing at 5:30 PM today." So much for the Hope Diamond. I kept heading toward the White House, the direction of the American Art Museum, and came across their sculpture garden. Since I couldn't see the museum building, I decided to look around at this outdoor exhibit. There were many very modern pieces which didn't really move me, but I did love this sculpture.


Still looking for the museum itself, I spied this fabulous building.

It says it's the Archives of the USA. I can tell you I had images from Raiders of the Lost Ark floating through my head. The statuary was nice.


Still looking for the museum building, I saw these gorgeous flowers.

I finally found the art museum, but there were no signs, only these incredibly tall doors with no handles on them. I didn't see another way in, so I concluded that this museum was also closed.

By now I was quite hot and sticky, so I decided to cross over the Mall to the Hirshhorn Sculpture garden, which was on the way back to the Metro stop. Some years ago I had visited this garden and really enjoyed it. I was pleased to be back with a digital camera this time.

The sculpture in this garden is quite eclectic. You will find modern pieces, like Henry Moore's called "Two Piece Reclining Figure: Points,"

and "Draped Reclining Figure,"




as well as more classical pieces, like this (one of my favorites):


There are many artists I have heard of:



and some I haven't:

I especially liked this piece and would like to see it in different light, with clouds.



Here is another artist I don't know, but I like his work.


And this, I was sure was a Picasso piece, but I was wrong.
I could find a place for it in my garden, really, I could!

Miro is so whimsical.



This piece communicates so much joy!


Here's a bit of the whole sculpture garden. It's a lovely setting which you walk down into.

So, even though I was skunked in my attempts to go inside museums, I did have a nice art experience and, as I headed out of this sculpture garden back to the big M, fat rain drops started. I just got to the underground in time before an amazing thunder and lightening storm started.

And, I am so happy to be back in our lovely temperate climate after a 15 hour travel day on Thursday, but that's another story. (Question, how can an airport lose it's power for over 4 hours?)

Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment