Sunday, December 16, 2012

BELLA VISTA

Some years ago Jim went by himself to Bella Vista in the cloud forest.  To see that blog click here: http://www.ajstephens.blogspot.com/2009/01/jims-big-adventure.html  This was the first time for Chuck, Nancy and me to go to this magical ecological preserve and see the amazing birds, flowers and abundance of nature.

Jim had told me for years that things just never dry out here and I was sure glad I listened and packed wool socks.  There is a reason it is called CLOUD forest.  But we were really fortunate to have a lovely sunny morning in which to sit and photograph fabulous humming birds.  Some I learned the names of and some I didn't but I enjoyed all of them swarming around the feeders.  This dude is a Collared Inca.

These were ubiquitous and never ceased to tickle me because of their puffed pantaloons and lime green flashes.



I think these may be called Buff Tailed Coronet, but I can't be sure.


  I don't know the name of this cute guy:

Besides wonderful birds, the flowers and plants were stunning and I saw many things I recognized from the botanical gardens in Hilo, Hawaii.  Here is an Albutilon which the hummingbirds loved to visit

and a lovely tree orchid right near our sleeping quarters in the "Bamboo House."

There are a lot of different accommodations at Bella Vista from dorm-type rooms to suites which can sleep multiple people.  Meal times are a fun time to meet people from all over the world.  While we were there we ran in to a party from Minnesota, an Australian big animal vet who was teaching in Alabama, a Swiss couple and of course Richard, the proprietor who is from the UK. Some folks are hard core birders and others, like us, were just enjoying everything.

This Masked Flowerpiercer hung out at the hummingbird feeders - easy lunch!


I would have a hard time choosing which was my favorite of the hummingbirds - this one, called the Violet Tailed Sylph

or this one called the Booted Racket Tail.

Female

Male

Male
This one was such a pretty color of yellow. 



I believe he is called the Speckled Hummingbird.

And this beauty with the pink throat is called a Fawn Breasted Brilliant:


Nancy and I had the best time with our chairs pulled up close to the hummingbird feeders marveling at the beauty and sheer numbers of the birds - for the first time ever I used up all 1250 photos on my memory card!  Good thing we have digital cameras now.  It would have been a fortune in film!

In the afternoon it clouded over (as it does in the CLOUD forest) and I took a little hike by myself.  I did not see so many birds but the flora was lovely.




Heliconia




While hiking I saw what I thought was a snake come slithering right up the trail toward me.  It was about 3' long and a slate gray color.  Upon my return I told Richard what I had seen and he said it was rare to see snakes and that I was a blessed lady.  When I described the color he said it was likely not a snake (all snakes in this area are harmless, by the way) but rather a legless lizard.  I checked it out on the internet and so it was!  It's called Caecilia buckleyi and you can see a photo here  http://www.tropicalherping.com/articles/inventories/mindo/caecilia-buckleyi.html.  I am afraid I was too startled to take a photo.  Shortly after this it started to seriously rain so I turned back.  The cloud forest is truly a magical place.


Tomorrow, the Masked Trogan.

Audrey










To read more about Bella Vista click here:  http://www.bellavistacloudforest.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment