Friday, April 14, 2017

CARTAGENA, ROMAN RUINS AND CATS

Jim and I were fortunate to get to spend a little time in the wonderful southern Spain city of Cartagena during our transatlantic cruise.  Prior to this I knew next to nothing about this ancient city with Roman and Punic ruins which was called New Carthage around 100 BCE.  I also didn't know that Hannibal, of elephant and Alp fame left for his historic invasion of Italy from here.  In any case, it is today a lovely walkable city with very friendly people and lots to see.


Our ship docked right in town in front of a large marina with sail boats from all over.


Shortly we came to the main walking street which was guarded by this reminder of the Spanish Civil War.


It was early and the street was just waking up at 9 am which didn't matter to us because every few feet there was something interesting to see, whether it was architecture,


Light fixtures,



Or cats and Roman ruins.


These ruins were of a Roman house called Casa de la Fortuna, and Roman baths, with a side temple to the Goddess Isis.  I thought those early Romans chose an ideal spot to settle.




Later I went in the ruins of the Roman amphitheater, which are invisible from the street but accessed through this non-Roman looking museum.


I was not prepared for being totally blown away by these ruins which to me were more impressive than the Colosseum in Rome, mainly because you can't see them until you go through this hallway


And come out to this

 

These ruins were forgotten over the ages and not discovered until 1988 when a local bank wanted to expand.  I love that modern day folks can look over their apartment balcony into the ancient amphitheater.

We were sorry to have so little time in Cartagena but I know we'll be back.


Audrey

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for a little look into what looks to be a wonderful place to visit. It's on my list

    ReplyDelete